Because this independent bottler is located on Terschelling (one of the Wadden Islands and therefore remote), it may just be that you have never heard of it. Fortunately, we are happy to bring this bottler to your attention.
We came into contact with Joris Dam, who sent us some various samples. Dam Dranken develops itself “De Verloren Whisky” and “Captain’s Catch Rum”, but also has “King Cask” in its range. “King Cask” was founded by 3 men who have always had a connection with the sea. That is why rums can also be found in their releases, or whiskeys matured/finished on rum barrels. Once a pirate… 😉
Let’s explore some samples:
Captain’s Catch edition 2 (2020) 43% ABV
- Nose : Raisins, earthy/vegetation and some sulfur.
- Palate : Caramel (“Hopjes” for our Dutch readers) and raisins.
- Finish : Light spices and gingerbread.
- Nose : Spices (Clove), full of vanilla.
- Palate : Caramel, raisins and vanilla.
- Finish : Spices.
Foursquare 10yo – Ex. Jack Daniel’s Barrel 58% ABV, Column & Pot Still 8 year Tropical Continental
- Nose : Caramelized pineapple, biscuit spices, vanilla.
- Palate : Raisins and vanilla custard.
- Finish : Warm and spicy, light pepper and caramel fudge.
- Nose : Creme brûlée, spicy, roasted marshmallows, yellow fruit (ripe banana, mango).
- Palate : Tropical fruit, some bitterness and plum.
- Finish : Medium with gingerbread notes.
De verloren whisky – Schotse blend (batch 2) 43% ABV
- Nose : Banana, peach, cotton candy, citrus peel and grassy.
- Palate : Mango, peach, melon (galia), candy cane and caramel fudge.
- Finish : Citrus sour and vanilla.
- Nose : Fruity (galia melon, lemon peel) and vanilla pods.
- Palate : Candy cane, macaroons and creamy.
- Finish : Short with some sweetness.
Very smooth and easy to drink. A good whisky to start the evening with, after the rums 😉.
Linkwood – Captain’s catch rum finish 58.2% ABV
- Nose : Tropical fruit (mango, banana), stone fruits, ripe pears, wild peach, whipped cream and vanilla.
- Palate : Again stone fruit:s wild peach, pears, and nectarines. Cotton candy and vanilla.
- Finish : Very light spices, citrus zest (sour), grassy and overripe bananas.
- Nose : Pear, melon, light rum scent and lemon.
- Palate : A fruit explosion! Apple, pear nd apricot. Some raisins and vanilla.
- Finish : Nice balanced finish, fruity but short.
MacRothes 11yo 61.4% ABV
- Nose : Red apples, peach, caramel buns, wine gums, figs and tobacco.
- Palate : Crispy red apples, milk chocolate, raisins, coffee beans and caramel.
- Finish : Spicy, raisins, leather and tobacco leaves.
- Nose : Butter cake, cocoa butter, raisins, figs and coffee.
- Palate : Orange peel, dark fruit (blackberry, blueberry) and gunpowder.
- Finish : Medium too long with dark chocolate notes.
Caol Ila 11yo 57.3% ABV
- Nose : Fresh, fruity, citrus, sea salt, seaweed, peach, papaya and melon.
- Palate** : Dry bonfire ash, sea salt, hay, citrus peel and soft stone fruits.
- Finish : Lightly spicy, white pepper, citrus and sea salt.
**after a few drops: Softer, more floral and fruity. Typical Caol Ila that doesn’t necessarily stand out.
- Nose : Marshmallows bbq, light peat, vanilla and after water more fruit notes (papaya).
- Palate : Roasted almond nuts, tabac and light peat (campfire).
- Finish : Lightly burned wood and toaster bread. Fairly long and well balanced.
After this first introduction to Dam Dranken, we are looking forward to discovering our own purchases:
🥃 Cley Distillery – 4yo ‘Dynamic Aged Charred Octave Cask’ @ 59.% ABV (WB: 212270)
🥃 Captain’s Catch Rum – 7yo (7 months at sea) ‘Ribera del Duero Cask’
Keep an eye on our blog for more…
Dutch Whisky Brothers
Geef een reactie