For this blog we go back in our sample boxes. We have already discovered some beautiful things from Bruichladdich. But we found out that in addition to the beautiful Black Art samples, we also had the series 12 from Octomore in stock 🥃🔥. And that while Series 13 has now been launched and is already available at some shops!
We would like to thank Nick Baeyens, Benelux Prestige Brand Ambassador for Bruichladdich, in advance for these beautiful samples.
First let’s briefly explain something about Bruichladdich’s Octomore series:
- Each series is made up of 3 releases (and sometimes something extra) xx.1 / xx.2 / xx.3 .
- The xx.1 is their “baseline” whisky.
- The xx.2 is a perfect balance between sweet and smokey, because it is recasked on quality Sauternes casks.
- The xx.3 is a full Islay Scotch Single Malt, because it uses local barley from Islay.
- Octomore is the most peated whisky within the Bruichladdich range. They have releases usually above 100 Phenol parts per million (PPM).
We have had the pleasure of discovering the following releases:
- Nose: Burnt vanilla, smoke, old warehouse, gets milder and softer with time.
- Palate: seaweed, heavy peat, campfire, black pepper and oily.
- Finish: A delicious long and smoky aftertaste…
- Nose: Fruity, red apples, strawberry, tar, ash smoke, mango and peach.
- Palate: Tar, rubber, campfire ash, briny, mineral and hay
- Finish: Ashy, white pepper, vanilla and malty.
- Nose: Sweet smoke, nice floral notes, smoked bacon and lemon.
- Palate: A light acidity, marshmallows, lemon zest, sweetness and freshness at the end.
- Finish: Medium/long, with again that beautiful elegant smoke.
- Nose: Lighter on the nose compared to the 12.1. Salty, citrus, hay, sea breeze and vanilla. After a while whipped cream and soft red fruits.
- Palate: Candy sweet, peach, pears, hay and gentle smoke (like an evaporated campfire).
- Finish: Iodine, light pepper and creamy vanilla fudge.
- Nose: Smells very thick, black coffee, raisins, bbq and meaty.
- Palate: Dark chocolate, sherry (think PX style), burnt oak, tobacco and freshly smoked bacon.
- Finish: This is a delicious one for a winter bbq, a long finish with lots of meaty notes (not for the vegans 😜).
- Nose: Very full on the nose. Dark sherry flavors such as raisins, figs, chocolate. Also tobacco, charcoal smoke. After a while it becomes softer, with the vanilla and honey coming out more.
- Palate: Dark chocolate, dried fruit, tobacco and earth tones (smoky and meaty). Then some caramel fudge and sweet dough (pastry).
- Finish: Meaty, charcoal and dark chocolate. It remains lingering…
Let’s face it… these drams aren’t for everyone. But if you like them, you will notice that they are so complex. And that for such a young age!
We both think the 12.3 is the most beautiful, the most complex and also the most interesting. Could this be because of “terrioir” 😉?
We are already looking forward to the new Series 13 🥃🔥.
Dutch Whisky Brothers
Credits for media: provided by Bruichladdich